Yun Wang, Professor and ASME Fellow
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
4231 Engineering Gateway
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3975
Office: (949) 824-6004; Fax: (949) 824-6004
Complex Multi-phase Flow, Advanced Hydrogen Storage, High Power Fuel Cells, New Batteries, Efficient Cooling, Micro 2-Phase Flow, Droplet Dynamics,
Novel Heat Pipes, High-resolution Neutron/Optical Imaging, New Materials, Renewable Energy Conversion, Advanced Fabrication, Material Characterization.
Ph.D Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 2006
M.S. Mechanical and Engineering Science, Peking University, 2001
B.S. Mechanical and Engineering Science, Peking University, 1998
Graduate courses: MAE 221 Convective Heat Transfer; MAE 220 Conduction Heat Transfer; MAE 224 Convective Mass Transfer; MAE 295 Multi-phase Transport; MAE 226 Hydrogen Transport and Conversion.
Representative Publications (A complete list with citations (~4,700 times scholargoogle)
1. Y. Wang and C.Y. Wang, Transient Analysis of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, Electrochimica Acta, 50, (2005) 1307-1315. (PDF)
2. Y. Wang and C.Y. Wang, A Non-Isothermal, Two-Phase Model for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, J. Electrochem. Soc., 153 (2006) A1193-1200. (PDF)
3. Y. Wang, Liem Pham, Guilherme Porto Salerno de Vasconcellos, Marc Madou, Fabrication and Characterization of Micro PEM Fuel Cells using Pyrolyzed Carbon Current Collector Plates, Journal of Power Sources, 195 (2010) 4796-4803. (PDF).
4. Y. Wang, S. Cho, R. Thiedmann, V. Schmidt, W. Lehnert, X. Feng, Stochastic Modeling and Direct Simulation of the Diffusion Media for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53 (2010) 1128-1138 (PDF).
5. Y. Wang, Xavier Cordobes Adroher, Jixin Chen, Xiao Guang Yang, Ted Miller, Three-dimensional modeling of hydrogen sorption in metal hydride hydrogen storage beds, Journal of Power Sources, 194 (2009) 997-1006. (PDF)
6. Y. Wang, Ken S. Chen, Jeffrey Mishler, Sung Chan Cho, Xavier Cordobes Adroher, A Review of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells: Technology, Applications, and Needs on Fundamental Research, Applied Energy 88 (2011) 981-1007. (PDF) [Citation: >1800 times by 12/2018]
Wang received the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award in 2011 from the Orange County Engineering Council (OCEC) and the 2011-2012 Applied Energy Certificate of Excellence: Most Downloaded Authors. Web of Science (last access on 3/7/2010), shows five of his first-authored papers are among the most cited papers (top 7) in Electrochimica Acta (EA) in 2005-09, (top 20) in EA in 2006-09, (top 4) in the Journal of the Electrochemical Society (JES) in 2006-09, (top 11) in JES in 2008-09, and (top 10) in the Journal of Power Sources in 2008-09, respectively. Wang received the OCEC President’s Award in 2013; the Applied Energy Top Cited Paper Award 2009-2013; and Highly Cited Paper in the Web of Science as of 10/2/2018. Scopus (last access on 10/3/2018), shows one first-authored paper is the most cited in the history of Applied Energy since 1975 (among 12,590 papers). Wang served as Track Chair/Co-Chair for ASME conferences (>3 times) and Session Organizer (>11 times) for ASME conferences since 2010, and as Co-Chair/Committee Member of other international conferences (>36 times).
3. Summer Research Position for High-school Students (link)
4. Undergraduate Research Opportunities (link)