Yun Wang, Professor, ASME Fellow, RSC Fellow
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
4231 Engineering Gateway
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3975
Office: (949) 824-6004; Fax: (949) 824-6004
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2035-3148
Complex Multi-phase Flow, Advanced Hydrogen Storage, High Power Fuel Cells, New Batteries, Efficient Cooling, Microscale 2-Phase Flow, Droplet Dynamics, Novel Heat Pipes, High-resolution Neutron/Optical Imaging, New Materials, Building Energy, Advanced Fabrication, MD, Machine Learning.
Ph.D Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 2006
M.S. Mechanical and Engineering Science, Peking University, 2001
B.S. Mechanical and Engineering Science, Peking University, 1998
Graduate courses: MAE 221 Convective Heat Transfer; MAE 220 Conduction Heat Transfer; MAE 224 Advanced Mass Transfer; MAE 295 Multi-phase Transport; MAE 226 Hydrogen Transport and Conversion.
Representative Publications (A complete list with citations (7,600 times scholargoogle)
1. Y. Wang and C.Y. Wang, Transient Analysis of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, Electrochimica Acta, 50, (2005) 1307-1315. (PDF)
2. Y. Wang and C.Y. Wang, A Non-Isothermal, Two-Phase Model for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, J. Electrochem. Soc., 153 (2006) A1193-1200. (PDF)
3. Y. Wang, Liem Pham, Guilherme Porto Salerno de Vasconcellos, Marc Madou, Fabrication and Characterization of Micro PEM Fuel Cells using Pyrolyzed Carbon Current Collector Plates, Journal of Power Sources, 195 (2010) 4796-4803. (PDF).
4. Y. Wang, S. Cho, R. Thiedmann, V. Schmidt, W. Lehnert, X. Feng, Stochastic Modeling and Direct Simulation of the Diffusion Media for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53 (2010) 1128-1138 (PDF).
5. Y. Wang, Xavier Cordobes Adroher, Jixin Chen, Xiao Guang Yang, Ted Miller, Three-dimensional modeling of hydrogen sorption in metal hydride hydrogen storage beds, Journal of Power Sources, 194 (2009) 997-1006. (PDF)
6. Y. Wang, K. S. Chen, J. Mishler, S. C. Cho, X. C. Adroher, A Review of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells: Technology, Applications, and Needs on Fundamental Research, Applied Energy 88 (2011) 981-1007. (PDF) [Citation: >2900 times by 2021] (Highly Cited Paper by ESI in 2012-20)
7. Y. Wang, Daniela Fernanda Ruiz Diaz, Ken S. Chen, Zhe Wang, and Xavier Cordobes Adroher. "Materials, technological status, and fundamentals of PEM fuel cells–A review." Materials Today, 32 (2020) 178-203 (PDF) 10.1016/j.mattod.2019.06.005 (Highly Cited Paper by ESI in 2020)
8. Y Wang, B Seo, B Wang, N Zamel, K Jiao, and XC Adroher, Fundamentals, Materials, and Machine Learning of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Technology, Energy and AI, (2020) 100014 (PDF)10.1016/j.egyai.2020.100014 .
9. Sun, C., Wang, Y., McMurtrey, M. D., Jerred, N. D., Liou, F., & Li, J. Additive manufacturing for energy: A review. Applied Energy, 282, 116041. 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116041 (PDF) (Highly Cited Paper by ESI in 2022)
11. Zhang, G., Bao, Z., Xie, B., Wang, Y., & Jiao, K. (2021). Three-dimensional multi-phase simulation of PEM fuel cell considering the full morphology of metal foam flow field. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46(3), 2978-2989. (Highly Cited Paper by ESI in 2021)
12. Fu, Y. T., Gu, W. L., Hou, Z. Y., Muhammed, S. A., Li, T. Q., Wang, Y., & Wang, Z. (2021). Mechanism of signal uncertainty generation for laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Frontiers of Physics, 16(2), 1-10. (Highly Cited Paper by ESI in 2021)
Wang has made numerous seminal contributions to PEM fuel cell, Li-air battery, thermal management, and Two-phase flow in porous media and micro-channels, including the theories of heat pipe effects, transient analysis, cold start, droplet removal, two-phase flow modeling, surface impacts, and li-air battery voltage loss. Wang received the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the Orange County Engineering Council (OCEC) and the Applied Energy Certificate of Excellence: Most Downloaded Authors. Wang received the OCEC President’s Award in 2013; OCEC Outstanding Engineering Merit Award in 2020; the Applied Energy Top Cited Paper Award in 2013; and Highly Cited Paper in the Web of Science for 4 papers. As of 10/2/2018. Scopus (last access on 10/3/2018) shows one first-authored paper is the most cited in the history of Applied Energy since 1975 (among 12,590 papers). Wang was elected 2018 Reviewer of The Year from J Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage, and is currently ASME Fellow and RSC Fellow.
3. Summer Research Position for High-school Students (link)
4. Undergraduate Research Opportunities (link)